Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cheap things are beautiful things

There's this website that I absolutely LOVE and am constantly going to for fashion inspiration....you may have heard of it - does the name Lookbook ring any bells? Well, if you are big into fashion then you should definately take a peep at it, because you will honestly die( not literally) when you see how amazing some of these outfits are. Actually, I'll show you ( because I'm cool like that).



So now, I'm guessing you have seen the photos's and you've ooh'd and ah'd and then you started feeling bleak because you reckon that making up an outfit like that requires cash. Well that's how I felt when I first came across this website, but then I was inspired by a few friends of mine who are always dressed so uniquely and yet don't ever seem to spend a lot on their clothes. Wanna know their secret? No, they do not have a rich fashion designer aunt who makes all their outfits for them ( although lets be honest, that would be highly ideal), or steal from highly iconic and fashion forward stores ( because thats NOT ideal)...they merely thrift shop. Now there are two of my favourite words - Thrift. Shop.

Basically ( for those of you who are clueless right now), here are the top seven ways to thrift shop :

  • Second-Hand stores
  • Vintage/Costume Shops
  • Hospice Jumble sales
  • SPCA jumble sales
  • Factory shops
  • In your parents or grandparents closets ( you'd be amazed at the awesome things you can find!)
  • Make it yourself
You can find some amazing pieces of clothing at these places and you'll pay next to nothing!


This dress was originally form YDE and cost about R500 but my friend Amy went to the regular SPCA jumble sale and snapped up this beauty for just R40 !

Heres an example of how making use of your grandads clothing can actually turn out well...




Here are a few pictures of the friends who inspire me with their affordable yet great fashion sense.









Wow I love these stylishly beautiful people!

Shop cheaply, its the right thing to do...and its also such an adventure trying to hunt down the best buys so grab a group of mates and make a day of it!

1 comment:

  1. or option 8 is: have really rich stylish mates who travel around the world often and buy clothes for you... I have a mate like that!! he's awesome! lol

    ReplyDelete