Sunday, April 3, 2011

Songwriting is for the soul

I can't remember the exact date that I started writing poems and songs but according to my songbook I was 13 years old. I don't think it a coincidence that the age of rebelling against parents, starting a new chapter of life, having first kisses, first heartbreaks, and realising people can let you down is in conjunction with the time that I started expressing myself through ink on paper.
 No matter what I was going through, writing always made me feel better, and now I get to look back and see little pieces of my soul, my memories,carved into a white page reminding me of the good things and the things that I've overcome. In my songbook there are angry songs, happy songs, mushy songs and what I like to call 'Jesus songs'. These are songs that are inspired by my moments spent with Him. A few months ago I began reflecting on how God has worked in my life and how He always has my back no matter what the circumstance. This was all the inspiration I needed to write my latest song, entitled You and I. It's not neccessarily the best song ever written but I wanted to share it because I think many can relate and God deserves the praise.
So here is a little piece of my soul :


You and I, we walk, we run
we twirl around until the sun goes down/
You and I, we laugh, we dance,
we cry until our eyes run dry/
You and I, we do everything together

** Because You've been there though it all/
You've seen the bravest jumps and caught the
heartbroken falls/ You know me in my weaknessses
and You know me in my strengths/ You love me 'til I'm
breathless and You take away regrets/ I don't believe
I'll ever know a warmth as great as Yours/ so sweep me
up into your arms and never let me go/ You and I, we're
nothing ordinary, we're a never-ending story.

You and I we work, we play
we sing and hum until we've overcome/
You and I we climb, we fall, we perservere
until the view is clearer/
You and I, we do everything together

**

Jesus Christ, You're the ultimate sacrifice/
I let you down all the time, my sin hung you on that tree/
but still, you came back for me/
You always come back for me.
  
Never-ending, your love is never-ending/
You bring new beginnings /
to a world thats doesn't deserve

Written 26th January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment