Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's not goodbye, it's until we meet again.

So this is going to be the last post I write for a while because I am putting all my focus and energy into a new blog that I have developed for my  Honours Project. It's called This City is Music and you should definitely go check it out!

Anyway so that's the reason I have been quiet for a while. So far this year has been crazy- a rollercoaster ride of emotions and memories and university work. So much change, so much growth and so much that I have learnt. Allow me to share with you.

 Friends are everything.

It's so very important to surround yourself with people who are going to build you up, encourage you and motivate you to keep going when things get overwhelming. I have made an amazing bunch of mates here in Cape Town who welcomed me instantly, included me and loved me...they are probably the reason why I am still sane.

 Life's to short to think ahead.

You always hear that saying "take one day at a time" but I don't think I have ever taken it seriously. Until this year, when I realised I had to. I made a to do list of tasks I needed to accomplish every day of the week and then on each of those days I would only focus on those tasks and not worry about what assignment was due next month or whose birthday party it was the following week. It really works, day by day, getting through. I often found I then had so much time left in my days to just relax.

Go out and have a jol.

It's so important to get out of the house or the library or wherever you are holed up and just go have a night on the town with mates. Especially living in Cape Town, there are so many wonderful things to do here and if I just did varsity work all day, I would  never actually get to enjoy this place. So I make a point of making sure that I get my work done so I can go out at least once on the weekend.

 Sometimes WANTS trump NEEDS.

I need a car. I need to get a job. I need to pass Honours. I need to be able to pay rent next year. I need to figure out where I am going to live next year. Thinking about what I need to do literally only brought more stress into my life and so I took a moment, took a deep breath,  pushed all those needs to the back of mind and focussed on what I actually wanted.

I want to be on holiday. I want to travel. I want to graduate Cum Laude. I want to tick as many things as I can off my bucketlist. These things make me happy and motivate me to work hard. This is what's more important...do what makes you happy. Life is far too short to spend all your time stressing about cars and jobs and rent. That stuff will work out if you are happy and motivated.

Jesus is everything.

The most important thing I have learned this year is that without God, I would probably just be a crying mess, curled up on the floor. I would probably have just quit Honors and gone back to Durban. Without God fighting for me every step of the way, I am pretty sure I would have just given up. He's constantly just showing me how blessed I am to be here and that this is where I am meant to be. Sure, I still have days when I want to pack my bags and go home, I have days when I cry for hours, I have days when all I want is for time to slow down....but Jesus is right there through it all, holding my tears, holding every fearful thought and silently whispering to me that it will be alright. That's how I got through this year. Living in my own house, away from home, tackling a degree that overwhelmed me was never going to be easy, but if this entire journey has brought me to a deeper and more intimate place with God, then it was all worth it.



So that's it for the next 6 months or so, unless I find a spare minute to write something else.

peace and love

No comments:

Post a Comment