Friday, August 17, 2012

Change and Control.

Change is scary.

Actually, it's ridiculously scary. Change means that for a period of time, we are not in control. We will never know how change is going to affect our lives, I mean, we may have an idea, but we can never know for certain. So, we feel like suddenly our lives are not safe and familiar. Suddenly we are out of our comfort zones.Suddenly we have no control over what this change means for our lives.


And humans HATE not being in control. Every bit of humanness in us yearns for control. Yearns to know what the future looks like.

But then Jesus comes. And he tells us that in order to follow him, we must deny our old life, pick up our crosses and follow him. Romans 12:2 says it quite straightforwardly: " Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be TRANSFORMED by the renewing of your mind ". So, firstly, we must change the way live. For salvation we are called to repent and agree that God's way is better than our way. So, secondly,we have to hand over the control to Him. uh oh. Ya, nobody should ever say Christianity is easy.

The thing that I have noticed ( in my own life especially) is that although most people are willing to say they will give God control, they are still hesitant to actually allow it to happen; to allow that change to occur. Like I said; change is scary.

The problem is that as followers of Christ, a halfhearted commitment is not what we are called to. We are called to GIVE UP OUR LIVES and walk in the purpose that God has for us.

What does that purpose look like? Why should we allow this change to occur?

All around me-  in newspapers, on television,at my university, in my street, in my house - I see poverty, war, brokenness and people searching for something, anything to fill the void in their lives. Every day I am reminded of just how many people there are in the world who need Jesus.
 And everyday, I choose to not let it break my heart.

Wait, what?

Well, if I let it break my heart then that means I have to do something about it. And to do something about it will mean that some sort of change will need to take place in my life - whether it means parting with finances, joining a new ministry, moving to a different country to do mission work -and,  at some point, I will have to leave my comfort zone. And that is scary. Right?

Well, the thing is, I cannot claim to be  lover of Jesus and to want to walk in his footsteps without wanting my heart to break for the broken. This world can only be changed if we are willing to be changed. If we are willing to live the way Jesus lived. Which was miles out of the comfort zone.

We love Jesus because he loved without condition, he was humble, generous, he cared about the poor, he healed the sick and he befriended the broken. Then he endured agony on a cross so that we may be forgiven
for our sins and ultimately carry on His ministry for Him. He died so that we may understand what love really means. He died so we would understand sacrifice, and what it means to allow God to be in control. He died so we could see that although  change is painful, it brings new life.

So then, the way for me to "be the change that [I ]want to see in the world " (Gandhi), will mean setting aside my own agenda, setting aside my personal goals and dreams, and saying " God, you gave me this life; show me how you want me to live it".

Allow your heart to break for the broken people of this world. Your love for them will flow out as a result of that willingness to step out of a comfort zone. Your life was never yours to begin with, so don't just give God the passenger seat, let him drive the car.
He will take you on a journey that will be greater than any comfort zone ever was.







1 comment: