Thursday, January 20, 2011

Forget airplanes and cars...the Internet is the vehicle to have.

So here's the thing. I discovered the coolest website ever ( claiming), but I couldn't blog about it because this is a travel blog. Then I realised I could get away with it due to a mode of travelling known as "Cyber Travel". Brilliant. I am a genius.

Now that I have captured you with my skillfully worded heading and captivating introduction, lets get down to business. One word : urbandictionary.com ( does a website count as one word?)

You know how our generation has managed to come up with a completely new vocabulary? Words like "sic", "wranger", "jut", "kif". Well now there is an online dictionary which provides the meanings of these words as well many other crazy sayings. The meanings are sometimes hilariously stupid and sometimes very rude ( but lets just focus on the positive here ). Anyway, it made me so excited, I wanted to share my discovery with the world ( or at least with the few awesome people who read my blogs).

So heres some 'legit' definitions of a few words you may or may not know:

Kif : 'South African English Slang for Cool, Awesome' ( this is rad because its an American website, but we use that word so much that it even gets acknowleged overseas!)

Wranger :  ' a person with red hair; originates from the word orangutan. Being pale with freckles and the butt of everyone's jokes comes hand in hand with being a wranger. Also known as gingys,  fanta pants, and carrot tops ' ( I apologise if that offended anyone but dont blame me, blame urbandictionary.com...and society )

Indie Kid : ' Elitist, liberal  people aged 16-28 who listen to independent music. Better than regular people, they're smarter, hotter (they generally try and act like they don't care about how they look, but they do), and better than the general populace. Do not mistake them with emo kids, emo is the ANTI-INDIE. Emo kids and Indie kids have had a long-standing war since emo became the "new thing".

Dani ( yes, even my nickname has a definition) :
 : ' A person with lots of layers of goodness, like an onion without the crying and the smell.'
(I didn't say it, urbandictionary.com did.)

Well now that Urban Dictionary basically just wrote my blog for me, I would just like to thank cyber travel for being the vehicle of our generation...without it, there wouldn't be a website that gives our words meaning. We also wouldn't have facebook or Youtube or Blogspot and then we would be sad. I also wouldn't have anything to blog about on weeks when I havn't done any actual travelling.

So, enjoy looking up the defintion of your name or whatever crazy words you can think of. Happy Cyber Travelling.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment