Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The long and windy road....yes you guessed it - Fields Hill.

Today I embarked on one of my many travels to an exotic and faraway land. This place is best known as.....
 Hillcrest.

Okay, so it isn't Guatemala or Cyprus or any other place that has a name which is not said how it's spelt ( lets be honest, we all want to say GU-ATE-MALA), but to me, a girl from Sherwood, and to my car,
whose petrol gauge is constantly on empty, Hillcrest is a faraway land. Therefore it counts as a travel. Anyway, this is my blog, I decide the rules, so why am I even trying to form an argument here? Rhetorical question.

Okay, back to the Hillcrest story. The reason I travelled to 'the Crest' today is because a friend and I had an urgent craving for sushi and we needed to meet up with another friend who lives in Hillcrest, so we figured why not meet up at a sushi serving place.Thus began our rainy, foggy-windowed drive up the infamous Fields Hill.

This long and windy road led us to Old Main road where ( as luck would have it), all the traffic lights were out. This wouldn't be such a big deal, except we had to drive through seven or more intersections basically blindfolded because humankind doesn't know how to operate at a fourway stop. This led to us almost being T-boned twice by people who want to drive whenever it pleases them. Frustration!

We survived to eat our much desired sushi though. You should totally hit ( not literally) Ocean Basket at Richdens Centre in Hillcrest - their sushi is really low-priced and so delicious.mmmm.

Our journey did not end there though. As we began our trip home, still rainy and foggy-windowed ( I couldn't figure out how to unfog it properly, and I don't even know if  'unfog' is even a word), I came to the realisation that the Appletiser I had drunk ten minutes earlier wanted to be released from my system ( I honestly tried to phrase that sentence in the politest way possible). Now as it is, the trip from Hillcrest to Westville is slightly long, but try going down Fields Hill in the pouring rain... one word - traffic. NOT ideal for me!

So there I am driving painfully slow, can barely see out my window, and on the verge of pulling over and peeing on the side of the road ( yes I said peeing)
 I didn't though, I perservered, but it could of made for one heck of a funny story!

I realised something though...this kind of stuff is what makes life interesting and it taught me some valuable lessons :

1. Go to Hillcrest on a SUNNY day.

2. To unfog ( defog?) your windscreen, just put your aircon on and aim it at the windscreen(unless your car is fancy and has a nifty defog button, in that case, stuff you.)

3. When at defective traffic lights, don't expect everyone else to play by the rules ( but you still should)

4. The best place to go when you feel like sushi (and if its not a 'Half-price' sushi day anywhere else), is Ocean Basket. http://www.oceanbasket.co.za/

5. If you know you have a weak bladder do not drink Appletiser ( or any other liquid) right before you're about to embark on a long drive with no rest stops ( it seemed like a long drive to me ok! )

So thats all folks, I know this wasn't as cool as meeting Timone the meerkat ( read my previous blogs) because nothing is as cool as that, but it was still an interesting day.

This weekend I head out on an actual trip (I'm even going in an airplane so you know it's legit) so keep an eye out for the next blog!

Travel like you mean it.





No comments:

Post a Comment